Home

Friday 30 November 2018

November 2018 Photo Hunt

Once again it's time to show my photos but, better still, to see what you have all done.  Thanks to Hawthorn once again and please click here to see her photos (and everyone else's too!).

1  Post/mail box

At first you might think this is just a standard Royal Mail Post box but if you
look carefully is bears the cypher for Edward VIII.  He abdicated on
11 December 1936, less than a year after he became king.
Click here to read him.  Click here to read about these rare post boxes.


2   Decay

This year we had an excellent crop of pears from our single pear tree.  Sadly they did not keep very well so I was eating lots of pears before they rotted.  The pheasants, rabbits and other fauna that visit our garden enjoyed the pear feast!

Click here to see (I hope) a slideshow of the decay taken over days.  I've kept the slideshow frills-free!

Just in case it does not work for you, here are just 2 of the 15 pictures I took.




3   Secondhand

Let me introduce you to Lucy.  She was gifted to me by a friend who was downsizing!
Lucky me.  She has a view out of a window, looking at fields where there are sheep.
She seems happy in her new home.


4   Strand

I made this necklace from different STRANDS of yarn.
It is a Kumihimo braid, made on a disc rather than on my marudai stand.
Click here to see an earlier post about Kumihimo braids.


5   Fold

FOLDING thickish paper to make Christmas cards.  Not easy to do when my right
wrist, whilst free of its plaster cast, does not want to work like it used to!
So not a perfect example of paper folding but at least I managed it....


6   Own Choice

I 'don't do Christmas' ......  but I still like to see decorations, mostly in other people's houses!
I was at an Art Fair recently and saw this wreath hanging on the wall and
thought I could make that.   So I did, despite my wrist being awkward to use!!!!
I used my Kumihimo disc to make a simple braid and found bells in my stash.
My Beloved described it as AMAZING, since he was involved in
making a mandrel to help me obtain the same size cone each time.


Well that's it for this year.  I hope Hawthorn is able to provide words for January 2019.  I've really enjoyed taking part and looking at your photos.  Thanks Hawthorn for your time and patience!

I hope you all have the Christmas of your choice.



20 comments:

  1. Clever you spotting the cypher on the mailbox. I love your paper folding efforts & think that you've definitely plenty of will power to do them with a wonky wrist. Hope Kate does keep us on our toes for next year, as I too love taking or finding photos for the words. Have a lovely weekend & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling my wonky wrist to do this and that and to stop moaning! Glad you like my paper wreath; a bit of a fiddle to do when a wonky wrist but we arrived at a compromise!

      Delete
  2. Where is that post box? I seem to remember there is something in Burnley with Edward VIII on it. A building he was supposed to have opened but didn't. Clever with your decaying pear and your folding Christmas tree and fabulous wreath are amazing. They are beautiful, especially when taking your dodgy hand/wrist. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like my photos; will email you about the mail box location. Good that the pear slideshow worked!

      Delete
  3. Well done for another lovely selection. Having failed to complete the challenge nearly every month I know how much work goes into collating all the images.

    Had a look at your 'Decay' slideshow - quite beautiful in a sad sort of way. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sad to see something decay but it is an interesting process. Nature is wonderful.

      Delete
  4. Your paper folding still looks excellent despite your poorly wrist. That's an interesting story about the Pillar box. My mum makes a delicious pear and ginger trifle. I hope you managed to think of something creative to do with some of the pears. Though I'm sure the garden visitors appreciated the feast. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wonky wrist prevented me doing anything creative with the glut of pears. I ate as many as I could, the rotting ones went outside and now they are all gone. In the past I did make a spiced pear condiment but not this year!

      Delete
  5. I love the paper wreath you've made - it looks very effective. I've never managed to see one of the postboxes with the Edward VIII cypher but now you've given a link to the list I may be able to track one down. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did look at a list of Edward VIII post boxes but this one was not listed.... If I can find a list with it on, I'll add to the next photo hunt as a note. I am still smiling as I walk past my paper wreath!

      Delete
  6. Brilliant selection once again, especially seeing your hand is still on the mend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos and interpretations. I don't think I've ever spoted an Edward VIII post box, I know they are quite rare, how wonderful to see one. I love your second hand sheep, also thread and fold:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie; so pleasing to read who likes which photos. A friend told me about the Edward VIII post box and I've been meaning to go and look at it for at least 12 months. Thanks to Hawthorn, I got there!

      Delete
  8. Loving the paper wreath, that is stunning. Liking the pretty Christmas card too. I could have done the pear, our pear tree had lots that have rotted due to invasion of the squirrel eater.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have pheasants eating the pears while they are still on the tree.... Seems my wreath is quite a popular photo this month. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  9. I'm impressed with your origami - very good with your injured wrist! The wreath looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! I'm thinking if making a spring themed wreath.....

      Delete
  10. Love your photos. I;m glad its not just me re the fruit. Love the paper folding and the last picture. Wow to the letterbox
    I have added you to the Advent list, I happy to remove if you'd rather not join in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I can join in next year's Advent show and tell but this year I'll have to decline as I'm trying to catch up now my wrist is getting better! Thanks for liking my photos. Makes all the work worthwhile!

      Delete