Home

Friday 26 November 2021

Photo Hunt 26 November 2021 - Tradition

A bit of a struggle this week as we do very little that can be classed as Tradition.  I had a quick look to see that the word meant and found the following:

the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in this way.

Hmmm, that was not very helpful so I'll be thinking outside the box on this one.  So what do Beloved and myself do that has become our own set of traditions?

Looking back to my childhood/early adulthood there was very little done of a tradition nature.  The only event I can recall is helping Mother prepare Christmas dinner for which the preparations were spread over weeks and in the few days beforehand, it was non-stop.  There were my parents. my two younger sisters and myself.  All that fuss for a meal......  so now, by non-tradition, I do not cook on Christmas Day!  I will happily re-roast a duck or goose but not a full blown cooking session.  That leaves us free to go out or whatever.  Besides, now we have our own tradition for Christmas Day - we pack up a picnic and drive to Ribblehead viaduct.  Cue photos!

Somewhat suitable photo for this time of the year.  There was even a train going over it.

We visit several times each year; a lovely, scenic drive and we park on the Ingleton Road
not at the bottom where most other people park.

Part of the tradition of going to Ribblehead is calling in at
Seasons Bakery and buying some goodies!

My dear quilting friend gifted me this card in November 2020 and of course we
had to take it to Ribblehead!

Years ago when we seemed to be always working up at the
fields, we would go up there on 1 January and have a small
snip of port to welcome in the forthcoming year's work
up there.  Until we got the shed finished we'd sit out
here.  We even had a table and chairs.

I make cheese and Marmite palmiers every year.  I made
some a few weeks ago and they freeze well.  Yipee!

Home-made mincemeat made into mince pies with 
home-made pastry.  Now I think about it I used to
help Mother make mincemeat and that is a tradition
I carry on.  It's so simple to make and I store it in a plastic
tub in the fridge.  It lasts for weeks and weeks.

Another memory from childhood is Mother and the Christmas tree.  She insisted
on having a live one and dressed it herself. Yes it look pretty but it was
a lot of work and then there were all the falling needles.
Also wherever I have lived since leaving home, there has been no where for a tree.
Roll on the years and I have an idea from all the yarn-bombing that was happening.

Without Beloved being aware I cut
a suitable ash tree branch and yarn-bombed
it!

It even has red lights.  It stands between the
2 long windows in the upstairs lounge and
is there all year.  Come December I remove
the non-Christmas dangly ornaments and
replace them with the Christmas ones, 
including chocolate Santas etc etc.

Well everyone, I'll be returning to Astrid's link-up page (click here) to see what traditions you have; I suspect they might be more traditional than mine!  

I hope the next set of words will be a bit easier on my brain!

Bye!




12 comments:

  1. You did well with your photos this week. I love your Ribblehead tradition. This weeks challenge has made me realise we don’t really have any traditions at all so I will just be posting another of my Tales from Walesmthis week. Hopefully be back with the challenge next week 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Ribblehead is so special to us. I've got a few books about the Settle to Carlisle line and of course Ribblehead features in them. We are so lucky where we live. Just a pity the sea is that bit too far away.

      Delete
  2. Well done & I've not been able to think of anything. You certainly had me nearly in tears with the photos of Ribblehead.............a favourite place to visit and will I ever see it again. Your Xmas tree does remind me of what we always did with a denuded gum branch, but still with nuts on it, stuck in a bucket of soil & decorated to an inch of its life. Might do that this year, as with all the fallen trees from the storms, won't have any trouble finding one. I'll make my Colonial Christmas Cake at the beginning o December too. We sort of had a few traditions when the kids were little, but with the eldest 2 turning 49 next month, that all seems so long ago. Maybe I'll think of something over the weekend so I can partake in this "word". Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have to think hard. So pleased you liked my Ribblehead photo. I've quite a few and might try to sneak some more in if I can get the word to fit! Hope you are able to join in. Take care.

      Delete
  3. You see, you have traditions after all. I love your Ribblehead picnic on Christmas Day, those are lovely pictures you have of it. Love the skinny Christmas tree too. I always have a smile when I think of you dragging your tree home through the village. Enjoy your palmiers, they are always delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The number of times I've walked through the village carrying strange objects; I do think people cross the road to avoid me! I'm harmless but bonkers. xx

      Delete
    2. Me too! same village same response with folk crossing the road haha

      Delete
    3. Somethings I think we are normal and everyone else is odd......

      Delete
  4. Late to the party with the comments today! We have 'non-traditional' traditions - like who ever's birthday it is, the weekend nearest to that date belongs to them - entirely!
    We would rather picnic and walk that party for our birthdays
    we have to go and watch the murmurations every year (as best we can of course - last year we didnt - but then last year didnt happen either!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One year Beloved made his birthday last for a whole month.... me, I forget it as such. Thank goodness Beloved is not a party animal, mind you I would not have married him. x

      Delete
  5. Thanks for joining in, you did great! What a lovely place to go on Christmas Day, and enjoying the baked goods is an added bonus. Your mince pies look delicious! If my Dad doesn't make any this year, I think I need to.
    I love your tree and how you change it out, such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could eat mince pies at any time of the year. I get so much pleasure from my tree, every day of the year!

      Delete