Home

Friday 5 November 2021

Photo Hunt 5 November 2021 - Bonfire

Aah, this was easy.  We like bonfires and have one several times a year (up at our fields) to burn personal papers etc and other stuff we can't recycle or that we don't wish to sent to landfill.  

Sometimes we use an old oil drum.

Then we have big ones!  A lot of tree trimmings and an old
wooden trough.

It never ceases to amaze me how much heat is generated.

Hmmm - once I inadvertently included an aerosol can.
I did hear a hissing noise and then there was a small
explosion and something flew past me!
Beloved soon appeared demanding to know
what I'd done; I took a photo of the naughty can.

After the bonfire now; you can see how large an area it was
originally.

This is all that is left of the 400 Roses lady's 2 hard drives
that she wanted destroying safely.  It almost
qualifies as a Henry Moore sculpture don't you think?

Beloved's aged aunt died and we had to clear the house;
nothing had really been thrown away since the house
was bought (about 1936).  We put what we could in the
bins, took loads to the tip and then anything that was broken, 
full of woodworm etc, we put on the bonfire. The above was 
orginally 2 separate bonfires but become one as there
was so much stuff.  We even had to build a third one.  
It was one, long nightmare of a job.

Finally the day was right and we burnt all three.

We don't have traditional 5 November bonfires but I know that we did attend an organised event in about 1982, prior to digital cameras.  Also a friend had a bonfire event to which we were invited but again prior to digital cameras.

Back in November 2007, we happened to have a huge pile
of stuff to burn.  So we had a small gathering, just 6 of us.
There was food to hand too, nothing fancy but I can't
remember the details.  The fire is well alight now.

There was a lot of heat so we had to sit well back!
I'd forgotten about this until I started to look through
my archives.

So another week has gone by!  Click here to return to Astrid's link-up page to see who else has joined in.

See you next week.

Bye!

8 comments:

  1. You are definitely seasoned bonfire professionals 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do love to have a bonfire. We have a huge pile ready for another one but the weather has turned so we might have to leave it to next year.

      Delete
  2. I knew you would have a lovely selection of pictures, well done. Think I like the last one best. That phrase 'before digital cameras' means so much to us all. Had to buy the film, carefully took 36 knowing you would have to pay for developing, then when collecting them so many had little stickers on saying they were no good. Oh dear. What a waste. But now we snap away continually, almost too much sometimes. But at least there is no charge and they can be deleted.😀 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember the difficulties one had with a film camera. I too like the last photo as I can feel the heat! Let's both continue to snap away whenever the moment presents itself! x

      Delete
  3. You, my sweet lady - are a pyromaniac! 😁 and yes definitely a mini Henry Moore xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have to admit to being part pyromaniac and part bonkers! But it is harmless fun. x

      Delete
  4. Now THOSE are bonfires! I'm sure that created lots of heat, perfect for cold nights. The hard drives looks almost like a shriveled up hand, spooky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the melted aluminum lump does look like a hand. Why didn't I spot this?

      Delete