Home

Friday 1 October 2021

Photo Hunt 1 October 2021 - Pumpkin

I've never been one for traditional activities, never did this as a child and it has just stuck with me.  Beloved is not bothered either so that makes life easier!  I do however take elements of the traditional activities that I like and make them but when it suits me and not necessarily at the 'correct' time of the year!  But I have dealt with pumpkins in the past!

Here's my effort from 2009.  I remember it was hard to cut
the design and scoop out the flesh.

So I did not bother until 2019, 10 years later as I'd seen a
technique on Pinterest that I wanted to try out.

Take a pumpkin and do not scoop the flesh out.
Take a metal biscuit/cookie cutter of a suitable design.

Use a piece of wood (wrapped in paper towel) to protect
the cutter while you hit it with a hammer to drive it
though the tough skin.  Easy to do!

Repeat with other cutter designs and then remove the
flesh/seeds and cutter-shaped pieces.

Add a light and enjoy!  Our house is up a private road so
no-one gets to see the pumpkin but I enjoy it!

Photo taken at night and I think I used a battery-powered
night light inside, safer than a flame!

I must admit I do like to see other people's pumpkins in their windows!  

I suppose I could crochet a pumpkin but ......   then I remembered I went on a quilt day at our 
local quilt shop (sadly long closed) to learn how to make the Pumpkin Patch quilt block; this 
was in January 2010.  It was finished at home in about March 2010.

Laying it out on the floor; I used a cheerful green fleece
for the backing.

I realised I did not have a photo of the finished quilt
so Beloved held it up for me the other day.

Pumpkin with leaves and stem in each corner.

Now I do like this type of pumpkin!

Click here to return to Astrid's page where no doubt you'll find better pumpkins than mine by people who like traditional activities!

Bye!


8 comments:

  1. I’ve never done pumpkin carving … ever. It wasn’t something that we did over here when I was younger … I think it’s a relatively new thing in the UK. It is becoming more and more popular though with pumpkin fields opening up all over the place at this time of year. Your quilt is stunning … I love it 🎃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments about pumpkin carving are interesting; never given it any thought before! The quilt was easy to do, just as well as I prefer easy!

      Delete
  2. We've done pumpkin carving every year since the boys were old enough to participate and now they have left home they are continuing the tradition with their girls - we still carve them at home and have them in the windows - I love the warm light the candles give through the carvings 🎃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you will still be carving a pumpkin; I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm all for passing skills on! x

      Delete
  3. We haven't carved pumpkins for a few years now, B always did it for us and I'd make pumpkin soup which I love. Maybe..... there are plenty in the shops now. 🍁🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm too busy with craft work to carve a pumpkin this year. I did make pumpkin soup but I did not like it so another reason not to bother this year! I've no seen any pumpkins in the shops yet but then I only go to one supermarket.... x

      Delete
  4. I love the idea with the cookie cutter, I haven't seen that one before.
    Your quilt is so beautiful, so many lovely colours. I'd want to have that out year round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't remember where I saw the cookie cutter being used, Facebook or Pinterest I think. The pumpkin quilt is still out as I've been 'too lazy' to put it away!

      Delete