Home

Friday 1 March 2019

February 2019 Photo Hunt

Hard to believe it is that time again.  This year is whizzing by!  Once again thanks to Hawthorn for organising us all..  Click here to see her photos.

I'll not be able to get to my computer for most of this day but I will see if anyone has been kind enough to leave a  comment when I get back.

I did find this set of words initially daunting but I soon got on with it......

1   Sound/hearing

This is Boris, whom I used to see a lot at the old house.
At our new house I do hear owls.  Over the last few weeks there 
have been owls calling to one another but they must be invisible!
One day I will see owls here......

2   Smell/scent

A necessary job!  Our farmer friend muck spreading on our fields last year.
With this lovely hot and sunny weather I've been doing lots of washing but
I can't hang it out to dry as there is muck spreading going on nearby....
So the tumble dryer is back in use - grrrrr

With most of my pictures there is a story....  for several weeks before 1 March (when these photos
would be live) I'd hoped to see some muck spreading going on so that I could take a
better photo.  But all we saw were 'painted' fields; painted because it looks like the
farmer has used a huge brush to put brown stripes all over the field....

I'd already decided upon the above photo and used it when the other day we came across
a farmer spreading!  Beloved leapt out the the car with my camera and voila!

The birds were loving it!  I have to say the smell was very strong!

3   Feel/touch

So many ideas for these words but in the end I settled for my work basket of Stylecraft
Special DK yarn that I'm currently using to make the latest Attic24 CAL (crochet-a-long).
Click here to see Part 1 of the Attic24 CAL
This yarn is so tactile and easy to work with.


4   Taste

My own home-made marmalade on a fruity tea cake.  Wonderful!
Also eaten with fruit (I love fruit!).


5   See/sight

A few weeks ago I noticed a male sparrowhawk having breakfast.  He was there for
almost an hour.  Not a brilliant photo.  A few days after I was in that part of the garden
and saw the remnants of his breakfast, a pair of sparrow wings.....


6   Own choice

Ta-dah!!!  My Persian Tiles crochet blanket is finished.  I bought it as a kit from Janie Crow
at last year's Yarndale event.  It's about 48" (122 centimetres) square.
It was fun to do, even if a bit tricky at times!

Well that's my lot for this month.

28 comments:

  1. Wonderful!
    You definitely hit the mark - lovely set of photos and stories - your Persian Tiles crochet blankie is beautiful - so so impressed!
    Thank you for joining in x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me join in. All the work of finding photos is always worth it in the end. I plan to take the Persian Tiles to KnK next week. Hope you can make it

      Delete
  2. Well done on the sparrow hawk photo. Sad to see the males eat little songbirds but it is the natural cycle, and apparently having them visit regularly is a sign of biodiversity and a healthy community in your garden.

    I love the smell of muck spreading - but most of you already know I am weird :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me I am biodiverse! Usually I'm told I'm bonkers! The smell of muck spreading can be almost pleasant but occasionally it can be too strong. But the grass needs it.

      Delete
    2. They were muck spreading here yesterday afternoon - I thought of you :-)

      Delete
    3. Thanks for thinking of me!!! There is still an agricultural smell on the air here, despite some rain today.

      Delete
  3. Oh, muck spreading!!!! I remember the first time I smelled it in UK & ugh, awful. They don't do it over here, but sometimes the milking shed areas of a dairy farm, have the same smell. DD & I are still toying with the idea of purchasing wool to do the Sweet Pea Blanket too, closer to our winter & I love your Janie Crow creation. I did her Sunshine & Shadow rug. You've done well with the selection & of course I 'love' Boris. Take care & have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are not tired of seeing Boris. I've nearly finished the Sweet Pea Blanket then I plan to do some hand quilting; more about that next month, perhaps! Hopefully the weather your way is a bit cooler; hopefully ours is getting warmer!

      Delete
  4. Where to start......that gorgeous marmalade maybe. I love the way you have selected Muck Spreading with such a pong, bet nobody else does! Most original. As for that gorgeous, fabulous, fantastic Persian Tiles blankie - it is amazing. Well done. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jak. Off out today on a jolly and there was the unmistakable smell of muck being spread on the air! It's what country living is all about.....

      Delete
  5. Very original pictures and I admire your Persian Tiles crochet blanket, it represents so much work! Have a nice weekend! Sandrine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments. I've a craft-filled weekend planned. Yes the Persian Tiles was a lot of work, but it was such good fun. I've offered to finish my friend's one off as she is a bit stalled by hers....

      Delete
  6. Wow, your Persian tiles blanket is fabulous - her designs are great, aren't they - and I love as always your photo of Boris - it'd be amazing to see an owl in the wild. The sparrow hawk too - but the smell of muck spreading I can do without lol Great photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fil. Glad you too are not bored by Boris. Lately as we've been driving around we have seen Barn Owls on 3 separate occasions - such a treat. Just as well it is only a photo hunt and not an actual 'smell' hunt that you can sample....

      Delete
  7. The crochet blanket is stunning! I love Boris - what a fabulous photo! We had a sparrowhawk in the garden once and he also took well over an hour to eat his meal. I was surprised at how slow he was, but I suppose when you're a sparrowhawk no other bird is going to hurry you along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about the sparrowhawk not having to hurry to eat his meal! The Boris photo is one of my favourites. Seems my crochet blanket is a hit!

      Delete
  8. Your blanket is gorgeous, I love the colours. I'm always sad when the sparrowhawk visits our garden as I know one of the little birds will be taken. Wonderful photo of Boris, we have been hearing owls for the last two or three nights, they sound quite close too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature is both beautiful and ugly. Luckily I see most of nature's beauty. Another vote for my blanket! Thanks.

      Delete
  9. The blanket is gorgeous, the marmalade looks delicious but my favourite just has to be the cute owl. There are owls round here and I often hear them calling to each other at night :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, the owl is cute. Boris was very tolerant of me looking up at and taking lots of photos. I even took others to have a look and he never once flew away, just sat there and often slept.

      Delete
  10. Stunning blanket. Boris is a special pic, he's beautiful.
    Not sure about the muck spreading, definately filled the smell category!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try to think outside the box; I can picture everyone sitting at their PC (tablet etc) with a clothes pen on their noses! Another vote for the blanket and Boris! Thanks.

      Delete
  11. Boris is adorable! Beautiful colours of yarn and your crochet blanket is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. Boris was such a joy to see. When the leaves are out I will return to the old house and see if he is there. Seems you too like my blanket!

      Delete
  12. I just could not resist using the smell photo! You are not the only one who wrinkled their nose when viewing it. Thanks for liking the blanket and your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. owl looks awesome.
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete