Home

Friday 29 March 2019

March 2019 Photo Hunt

Ignore the above photo!  I'm trying to get the link up tool to use the above photo....

Hard to believe it is that time again. 

I was stuck for ideas so one rainy morning I sat myself down at my computer and 5 minutes later I was sorted!  So a stern word to one's self can work!

Once again thanks to Hawthorn for organising us all.  Click here to see her photos.


1   Flat

Flat naan breads I make.....  I'm not too fond of shop bought ones and they are too big.
Mine are just the right size!  They freeze well too.

2   Wheel

My colour wheel.....

I did think of a cheese wheel but I don't have one!

Now if I'd been to see the Falkirk Wheel....  

3   Swing

A swing bridge over the Leeds-Liverpool canal; Beloved is swinging away.....
Taken years ago when our friends had a canal boat moored in Silsden.

Somewhere I do have an ornament of a chicken sitting on a swing but I could not find it!

4   Ragged

This is the first quilt I made in the early 1990s.  It covers the arm chair
Beloved sits on.  The fabric is getting thin as you can see in the top
two photos.  To replace that piece of fabric I had to take the whole
quilt apart!  Luckily I'd only tied the corners of each fabric block
rather than hand quilt all over it....

The bottom photo shows the completed repair.... 
It was a challenge, especially getting the binding back on.

If another block needs replacing, I will hand stitch it on and not take the quilt apart!

5   Pot

My sister-in-law teaches pottery and I've been the happy recipient of various pieces
over the years.  This is one of my favourites.  We used to have 2 geese and I used
to garden a lot.  Also at the old house I built a lot of stone walls; hence
the design of this pot.  It is now too precious to be used as a pot plant
holder so is now a display piece.

6  Own choice

Remember this from an earlier Photo hunt post?  Click here to see it.

Well roll on a year and it is done!

The colours will not be everyone's cup of tea but Beloved wanted red, black and white.
Time taken - abut 122 hours and 10 minutes!   The time excluded pattern sorting, 
fabric buying, fabric sorting and re-sorting, reading the pattern several times 
and thinking about it when I could not sleep or I was out walking!  
Cost of fabric etc???  From memory about £145 but that is cheap for 
a unique piece of art!  I've plenty fabric left over too!

It is about 71½" wide and about 94" long.  Slightly bigger than the size stated on the
pattern but it is not a problem!

Off to Hawthorn's blog over the next few days to see who else has posted photos.

Thanks for looking and see you next month!








25 comments:

  1. I love the pottery piece - very personalised,very you!
    The quilt is amazing - I have thought that before, very impressive. Your colour wheel looks intriguing! thank you for joining in xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I worked out how to join in! If I get bored with the pot (!!!!) you can have it....

      Delete
  2. Great photos, I love the colour wheel and the finished quilt is gorgeous - I'm with your other half on this, I just love red, black and white with a touch of grey thrown in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm very much in my red, white and black (plus a hint of grey) period. Thanks for looking and your comments.

      Delete
  3. Oh, the photos are great. I used a swing bridge in one of the other hunts, but it is so different. I've a colour wheel very similar which was on the front of a Love Patchwork & Quilting magazine & talking of colour, nothing wrong with red, black & white. My uniform when I worked in the bank was those colours & on Quilt Gallery 3, you can see a quilt I designed in those colours. Oh, & I've that book your quilt was in too, but never attempted to make one. Your pottery container is out of this world. What clever ladies, both you & your sister-in-law. Thanks for sharing & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you understand what to do, making a French Braid is easy. I did my own method of trimming up the braids..... give it a go. I like the sound of your uniform. Will have to look on Gallery 3 for your quilt. Have fun.

      Delete
  4. The quilt is absolutely gorgeous, what a beautiful job you've done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, thank you. It was a challenge but one which I thoroughly enjoyed!

      Delete
  5. Great photos and choices. Like flat, swing and pot and your quilts both old and new are wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie; at least my photos this month were not offensive to the nose!

      Delete
  6. I am so impressed with your naan breads - I'm a reluctant baker but keep meaning to try gluten free pittas and naan. And that pot is fabulous as of course is your wonderful quilt - your patience is fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fil for your comments. I am lucky to be blessed with patience! Some of my friends are not.... I also like the challenge of not being beaten by 'you can't do that' sort of comments! Gluten-free naan etc should be OK to make but I suspect they will not rise much; I have made lots of gluten-free stuff in the past and bread was a bit weird though I never tried naan. Go on, give it a go. At the worse the birds will enjoy your baking!

      Delete
    2. Lol - that's true - they test lots of it for me :) I will give it a go one of these days but I'll report back!

      Delete
  7. Those naan breads are definitely making me crave for an Indian. Could be on the menu for tonight now. 😁. I quite like the new black and red design. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I will have to make some more as I've home-made Indian meals in the freezer.

      Delete
  8. Love your choice of pictures this month. The flat bread looks delicious and you know how impressed I am with your latest quilt. The old one reminds me of shirting material - all those checks. I also love that pot made by your sister-in-law. So appropriate to all your favourite things. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the old was was shirting materials. Sounds like you too are in the queue for that pot! I'd not realised that a lot of the photos this month were my favourite things - cue for a song!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for such an interesting collection, my favourite has to be the quilt. I would love to have time for quilting but .......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct! One needs time for quilting; the quilt shown here that I repaired could be made in a weekend provided you had set your stall out..... Like most things quilting can be as easy or complicated as you make it!

      Delete
  10. Your well loved quilt is a treasure and your new ones are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've yet to put the new one on his chair and let him sit on it....

      Delete
  11. You did very well with March's words! I love the pot which echoes so many personal things. As for the quilts, both are gorgeous, the first one you made as much the latest one whose colours give it a very contemporary style. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I'll try to do as well next month!

      Delete
  12. Stunning pottery, what talent to make something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the years my talented sister-in-law had made some to-die for pots. I've another one she made me so that might have to make it into the Photo Hunt one day!

      Delete