Home

Friday 12 March 2021

12 March 2021 Photo Hunt - Look Up/Look Down

And it's Friday (again) so that must mean it's Photo Hunt time (again).  When I first saw the prompt, I was worried as I had no ideas.  Then my brain started to work and in the end it was so easy to find photos...  yes, whilst there are 2 prompts, there will be more than 2 photos....

Look Down

Whenever we go out for out local walk I always pause in various places (mostly bridges over our local watercourse) and other places.  So, put your boots on and come with me on a walk; it's dry, it's about 2 miles and it's not too hard (I don't do hard walking!).

First bridge for me to look down and see if there is anything
interesting to see; not on that day but a week previous
we saw 2 Goldcrests but they would not pose!

Next bridge; I do love its construction.

Looking down onto a shallow 'tough' with flowing water.  
I gather Moss likes to sit in this water.

A bit further on I'm looking down into a hole that last year held
water.  No idea what is happening here but we keep checking on it.

Next we look down into an old quarry.  For some reason
which we can't explain, we'd like to own such a place!
Lots of covids live down there.

Another view.  I like stone so perhaps it is that which 
appeals to me.

Getting closer to home now.  I somehow feel the arch
should be taller...

On the homeward stretch now; we often see ducks down there
but not today.  Years ago I saw a Spotted Flycatcher there.

Back home now and I'm at the end of our garden, looking
down onto the watercourse that has featured in the earlier
photos.  That rotten branch fell off last year and lucky
for me it fell onto the banking and not into the water as otherwise
I would have felt obliged to retrieve it.  A lot of people
treat this watercourse as a place to dump 
their gardening waste....  grrrr

I've zoomed in to the white mark; this gives us an idea
as to how high the water gets.  One day I'd like
to get down there and mark it with height markers!
On Boxing Day 2015 the water was just over the 
top of the white mark....  

I hope you liked your walk and do feel free to join me as I'm about to have a coffee and a small piece of cake...

Finally on a drive out through the Dales in October 2013
I noticed a 'water fountain' down in the valley.  You can just see
a 'pipe' running down from the top left corner. 

Look Up

Up at our fields (January 2006) and I heard a 
familiar noise.   It soon floated away and must have
landed elsewhere.

Looking up at a huge Christmas wreath that has been
displayed on this balcony for several years now.
I wonder where they keep it when it's not needed?

Walking by the canal in Skipton and I looked up in wonder as
a Virginia Creeper made its way along the pipe.
Must return this year to see how far it's got!

Looking up the path, part of the Pennine Way.
Beloved has walked it twice and I have done a
few local parts of it.

My eye was initially caught by the Moustache cloud (also
known as a horseshoe vortex cloud) and then I noticed 
the canopy of a land kite up on the Recreation ground.  
Click here to read more about these unusual clouds.

Looking up at the central pier of Ribblehead viaduct.
As soon as we are permitted we will head over to see it,
our favourite run out.  At the moment it is undergoing
a major restoration project; click here to read about this.

Finally, my favourite photo of today's post; the Tawny owl I
called Boris; he would sit on this branch near my study
window in our previous house.  I was able to go outside
with my camera and take plenty of photos on many occasions.  
When we moved here 6 years ago, sadly we could not bring
him with us!  I do hear owls here but have only seen one, 
on the first evening we stayed here.

I bet you are glad you've reached the end of my photos.  I could have gone on and on but .....  

Anyway, as usual, click here to return to Hawthorn's post; that's where I'm off to next, to see your interpretation of this week's phrases.

Bye!









17 comments:

  1. Thanks for inviting me, I really enjoyed that walk with you. So many photos to comment on, loved them all but my favourites must be the symmetry of the cloud and the curve of the hang glider and best of all is Boris at the end. I'm sure the owl you heard when you first moved in was him checking you were OK and had owls round you in your new home. 🦉 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jak. I was so lucky with the cloud and kite canopy; could not have planned it better myself. x

      Delete
  2. Just noticed it was a kite and I said hang glider!! 🦉 x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking us on your walk:). Lovely pics and perfect for the prompts. I've always wanted a ride in a hot air balloon - never thought of this for this challenge. But of course Boris is my favourite - wow ... just lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were free to accompany me on our walk and that you were not bored or tired out! Boris was such a treat.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for taking me on your walk and may be I can help clarify a bit about that big now empty hole. It used to be the old reservoir for the mill pond (now filled in) on the main road into the village (where the council store the old bus stop shelters) The man who now owns it, is in the house next door and the reservoir had become stagnant and stopped flowing, so last year whilst it was lock down, he drained it and diverted the water (it comes from the trough at Winewall and yes Moss loves wallowing in it). He then proceeded to dig it out and planned to repair the old walls etc but he went back to work and everything stopped 🙄 Next time you are that way, go to the trough and see on the right handside - where the water flows out, there is another pipe - that is the feed for the reservoir. Then go down to the end of the lawned area and look into the field below, see where it is all wet? Part of that is a spring, but it is also the outflow from the reservoir now leaking into the field as it heads towards where the mill pond used to be (in those trees at the edge of the field) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to clarify the empty hole. Next time we are that way I will go on to the lawned area and peer over the wall. It was good that you could come on a walk with me, considering how many of your walks I've been on.... x

      Delete
  5. Awesome photos from your walk & our local ones wouldn't be that interesting. Aha, I was going to use one of my balloon photos, then had second thoughts as I'd used them on my blog several times before. LOVE Boris. Take care, stay safe & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'd find a walk with you interesting as it would be all new to me, plants, terrain etc etc. You should have used your balloon photos. Looks like we all love Boris! Take care.

      Delete
  6. Two miles ... and fairly flat ... definitely sounds like our kind of walk. I love the cloud photo ... I’ve never seen anything like it before and how amazing for it to be mirrored in the sail 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so lucky to see the cloud and then triple lucky to see the canopy mirror it. One never knows what one will see when looking up (or down!).

      Delete
  7. Wow! Great photos

    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apologies for the late comment, it's been quite busy round here just recently. I agree the arch of that bridge should be taller, it does look quite flat. I like the colourful wreath and the viaduct shot with the date but my favourite is the owl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apology needed; as you can see it's taken me time to reply! Glad you like Boris! Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  9. Lucky you to live near so many beautiful places to visit. All lovely photos, but that sweet Boris is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boris is the clear winner of this post. Yes, we are so lucky to live where we live. The main problem is we get a lot of rain!

      Delete