Home

Friday 11 December 2020

11 December 2020 Photo Hunt Baking

Yet another week has whizzed by but I'm still joining in with Hawthorn at I live, I love, I craft, I am me....  Do return to her post to see who else has posted photos, hopefully yummy ones!

I don't bake as much as I used to but every now and then I do bake.  I'm not a Christmas person as such but ever since being a small child I've been used to home-made mincemeat and home-made mince pies (I use the recipe from Delia Smith’s Christmas book).  I still do this as I love my mincemeat which is not as sweet or gluppy as the shop bought variety.  The pastry I make is a gluten-free one, which I made in advance and store in the freezer.  The night before I plan to bake, I take the pastry out.  So the actual making is easy!  I made the following in about an hour earlier this week.

Can you spot the odd one out?  I made 6 dozen mince pies but ran out of mincemeat
for the last one!  Apricot jam to the rescue.  The pies are small and the pastry is almost
like a biscuit.  They freeze well too!  It's so easy to eat 2 pies with a brew...
I use gluten-free pastry as the cut off bits can be re-rolled many times without getting tough!
Apologies for the poor light.

Another Christmassy tradition for us (well me!) is to make Cheese and Marmite Palmiers.  I've not made any this year, though I might.  Of course if you don't like Marmite, they are not for you.

They freeze well too!  Ideal just before our evening meal, slightly warmed and with a tot of port!

We have builders here at the moment putting down a base for my new greenhouse; the base will be 20' x 20' (roughly 6 x 6 m).  So I've been baking for them too!

It's so easy to make; just made another one now as the builders have almost eaten this one!
It's a Yorkshire Gin Tea Loaf'; click here for the recipe.  Don't have gin?  Use extra tea!

Now I'm looking forward to sunny weather next year so I can be inspired to make the following!

It's another gluten-free recipe and is so light, that makes it so eatable!
The sugar bag is for scale.

Well, that's a summary of my baking; I no longer bake a Christmas cake, preferring mince pies!

I'm off to drool over everyone's baking photos.

Until next week then, take care.

Bye!






18 comments:

  1. You have been on a roll. I think I would like the parmiers as I am actually a marmite fan. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marmite for me too. Love it and always love your palmiers. You have been industrious. Put me to shame. Enjoy your greenhouse - what a lovely big one. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Marmite club! Perhaps I need to make some, my mouth is watering. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh be still by beating taste buds!! nom nom nom - this is fatal! I need to bake and I need to do it NOW!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies if I'm leading you astray..... I somehow had the impression that you were always baking, living with 'hollow legs'.... x

      Delete
    2. I do bake a bit too regularly but seeing different delights is very inspiring!😄

      Delete
    3. I'm going to make some cheese and Marmite palmiers tomorrow; someone has said yes I ought to make some....

      Delete
  5. Sorry but I can't stand Marmite, however the jam and cream sponge is another matter - it looks totally irresistible :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind about not liking Marmite, more for those of us who do like it. I'll save you a slice of sponge when I next make one.

      Delete
  6. Wow what a baking marathon, I'm sure you and your family, guests and builders will make short work of it all and be very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The builders ate all the cake and quite a few mince pies! But I've baked another cake and it is in the freezer along with the mince pies, so on dull days I can pull out some happiness.

      Delete
  7. Oooh ... those palmiers look amazing ... just right for dunking in a freshly baked camembert ... I'm off to add the ingredients to my on line Christmas shop this minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a good idea but they palmiers are fragile and might not survive dunking... you'll need to use your fingers a lot. I did make some this morning and am glad I did! Hope you like them when you've made them.

      Delete
  8. Mmmm, so many tempting treats! Although I'm not quite a fan of Marmite so I'll skip that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did make some palmiers yesterday and had to sample them; it's not a problem you don't care for Marmite.

      Delete
  9. OMG, that is a lot of baking for someone who doesn't do much. Or so she says. Just catching up after i'net issues & they all look nice, except for the lashings of cream as I'm lactose intolerant. The Marmite, here would be replaced with Vegemite though & I've only made a real Chrissy cake so far which I've not done for a few years & will do some more baking to take over to DDs on Christmas Eve as S-I-L is working on the eventful day (his birthday too). Take care, stay safe & huggles.

    ReplyDelete