Home

Friday 23 April 2021

23 April 2021 Photo Hunt - Earth

When I started to think about EARTH I realised there was a lot of possibilities.  Sadly I've never been on a space flight so I do not have a photo of the Earth.....

So let's see what I have decided to include.

A quilt I made for Project Linus, after I'd re-scaled
the pattern called Autumn Braid, a Cosy Quilts
design I saw on Donna Jordan's YouTube
tutorial pattern.  I hope you can see the 
earth tones in the background fabric!

For the back I used an earth-coloured
zebra-type fleece print.

Do you  use the expression 'What on earth was I ....'???  Well I did say this several times earlier this year!

Early December 2020, we had the base for the new greenhouse
laid.  They took away a lot of the 'soil' and offered to take more
but I said there was no need to.  What on earth was I thinking???

Towards the end of March this year I made a start on moving
this pile of 'earth'; an interesting term since it contained clay, 
bits of broken glass, stones, metal bits, roots (including 
nasty bamboo which I thought I'd killed off), other weeds etc.
It was also not quite dry so was heavy to move.  I dealt
with it by putting a small amount (without weeds etc) into
my bucket, carrying to where I needed it and emptying
the bucket.  I could not use a wheelbarrow as it was
not possible to get a wheelbarrow to where I wanted
the earth....   I did a bit every day.

About a week later, it has all been 'moved'....  
Never again as I'm getting too old for these games!

Well, once more thanks to Astrid and I'm off to see how others have interpreted this week's word.

As an afterthought, yesterday 22 April was Earth day!

Bye!






8 comments:

  1. No wonder you said 'what on earth.... were you thinking'. That heavy clay soil plus junk must have worn you out moving bucket by heavy bucket. Love your earthy shades in your quilts. Good idea. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jak; I have made myself promise to think things through a bit more carefully in future, well after I move/lay the 2" thick 3' x 2' concrete flags! x

      Delete
  2. Great ideas for this word & I too had many thoughts on what to do. Whoops, I also did 'what on earth' & I've only just started looking at the other hunts. Love the quilt & moving the soil must have been a big job. Take care, stay safe & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with 'What on earth....????'! I tried hard to include a quilt for you after last week's comment from you! I've a bit more of that soil to move but there is no rush... you take care too.

      Delete
  3. Favourite for me this time is the quilt, I love the colours and the earth tones of the background fabric go really well with them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for liking my quilt. I'd be surprised if anyone said my pile of 'earth' was their favourite!

      Delete
  4. Ohh, your quilt is so beautiful! And yes, those earth tones are perfect.
    Well, you certainly know how to keep yourself busy! Thank goodness they took most of it away.
    Great earth photos this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, everyone's Earth photos were so interesting. PS, I'm still moving soil from another part of the garden....

      Delete