Home

Friday 15 January 2021

15 January 2021 Photo Hunt - New

Once more I'm happily joining with Hawthorn in the latest photo hunt.  Click here to see who else has joined it.

NEW

Not the easiest word for me and it took a while before I had the germ of an idea.  Once I had the idea I had to make haste to be able to share the final photo with you today.

This is a NEW book; I was gifted it several years ago
by Blue and Yellow Morning; I seem to recall I finished
off a crochet blanket for her and this is how she said thanks.
It's a lovely book and I decided I'd make something from it
one day.  Well mid December 2020 I made a start.

Most of  the 30 blocks I chose to make presented me with NEW
challenges.  In the above block one is supposed to cut 
16 small squares (A above) and sew them together, then cut 9 larger
squares (C above) and sew them together etc etc.  There was no way I 
was going to do this and I made my blocks using strip
methods (I'll spare you the explanations).  As for B above,
I used the flying geese method to make them.
This involved me doing NEW research and sometimes
making NEW test pieces.

Here is my completed block; it needs pressing and trimming.

I decided I'd make a Project Linus quilt with 5 blocks across and 6 rows.
I finished it, apart from layering it with a black and white
zebra print, quilting it and then attaching a red binding.

Beloved is holding it up for me.  But it was so much fun even if challenging!
Yes black, red and white are my signature colours!

I am hoping next week's word (Moon) will be easier for me......  hope to see you then.

Bye!




14 comments:

  1. I remember hearing of so many people doing different challenges from that book over many years & although I've never seen it, I've seen plenty of the blocks at diffrent times & even a few quilts at quilt shows. Did you do the FG's the no waste method way. I've just done some too for a small quilt I've been working on & I learnt this method back in 2001. I once did a tutorial for them on my blog.
    I love the quilt and have an affinity with those colours which I wore as my bank uniform for many years. Thanks for sharing, take care, stay safe & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The block details were a mixture of stated measurements and then template sizes. I found the template sizes a bit odd so had to wing it! As for the FG, I decided to make them individually, oversized and then hoped I could cut them to size. The book made the FGs from triangles.... not for me. But it certainly exercised my brain.

      Delete
  2. Black, red and white together have long been favourites for me, I really like the second quilt, it's lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for liking my quilt; I know the colour scheme is not everyone's taste!

      Delete
  3. That is so beautiful. Maybe a block style quilt would be something I can have a go at with my NEW William Morris fabric ... I know I want to do something special with it. Today’s posts are all very inspiring so far and are really giving me food for thought ... thank you everyone 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about finding other people's posts inspiring/interesting. Good luck with your William Morris fabrics.

      Delete
  4. Love your new quilt. It is gorgeous and of course in your signature colours it is very striking. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jak; glad you joined in with all the lovely babies. x

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. A very good book to read, browse through and ultimately make a quilt from. No point rushing a job!

      Delete
  6. Once again a beautifully made quilt - I really like that each square is an individual :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, making 30 individual blocks took longer than making 30 identical blocks! I suppose it is similar to a Sampler quilt but which I have on my to-do list, probably in red, white and black! x

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, they look great! I love the colours and fabric you've chosen. I don't know much about quilting, but I can see all the time and effort you put in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric came from my stash and not bought for the quilt. Glad you like it.

      Delete