Home

Friday 5 February 2021

5 February 2021 Photo Hunt - Lovely Memory

 

Another week, another photo hunt challenge.  Thanks Hawthorn.  Click here to see the other contributors.

Advance notice - I've more than one lovely memory....

I have been attending Agricultural Shows long before I had a digital camera (first one 2002?).  I've so many memories of attending them, all the more so after I started to exhibit in various categories.  I've been exhibiting at the shows at Keighley, Burnley, Otley and Trawden.  Laterly I only supported our local show at Trawden.  It was a long day as I used to be a Steward as well.  I no longer do this having 'retired'  in about 2010.  I enjoyed taking part and winning the occasional rosette!

Here is my box of rosettes.  All put away when we moved here.
I've got them out as I have a cunning plan to use them
in a craft project; you will have to wait and see if
I am successful.  I don't want to throw them away.

So what did I exhibit????

Baking, here a Date and Walnut loaf.

A piece of hand-made felt; it comes out every Christmas.

Egg contents...  yes you take a whole egg to the show,
the judge breaks it open and the freshness etc
are judged.  Once I won first prize but I can't find
the photo.  I was very pleased as I
'beat' the chap who usually wins every class!

Preserves.

Quilt - this one was made from donated scraps and it is still one
of my favourite quilts, double bed size.  All hand quilted too.

The above is only a small selection of my exhibits but I've decided not to bore you with them all!

Whilst looking for another Show photo I came across these.
Scanned from a camera print so the quality is poor.

Our female goose with her 7 newly hatched goslings.
Mr Gander on guard.  They had goslings for quite a 
number of years.  

This is from another year.  We made a pond for them
and it always seemed to be my job to clean it out!

Well thanks for allowing me to share these memories.

Here's to next week.

Bye!







18 comments:

  1. Lovely memories of winning your rosettes, well done, and they look so colourful all together in a box. I like the goslings too, they look so cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such good memories. Lots of hard work but fun too. One lady was so talented that she could put entries into 95% of the classes and get a first, second or third rosette.

      Delete
  2. Love the goose family. Mr Gander looks so protective. Rosettes, lovely, they bring back memories for me too only mine were for gymkhanas and equestrian events at the Lusaka Show. Well done for getting so many prizes. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did enjoy keeping geese but all good things have to end! Getting the rosettes was fun but I don't have the energy for all that work these days!

      Delete
  3. I'd never have the nerve to exhibit any of my makes anywhere so I really admire your courage. I think my favourite is that egg photo. Who'd have thought you could exhibit eggs? And I love the goslings as well, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can exhibit a single egg that is judged for being perfect; then there is a trio of eggs to be judged.... all good fun. I exhibited to support the show and ensure there were plenty of exhibits for the public to see. I once went to another show where some classes were cancelled as there had been less than 3 entrants in the class; so sad to see.

      Delete
  4. So many rosettes ... well done, really looking forward to seeing how you use them in your craft endeavour 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking the rosettes will be my next daytime project. I do plan to share once it's finished.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post, so glad you shared them with us - Love the goslings in their little home with the proud parents :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked this post; I did find it hard to select a 'theme'! I quite like Own Choice! Goslings are sady missed but....

      Delete
  6. It looks like you earned every one of those rosettes, I really love your Christmas tree! I can't say I've ever heard of the egg contents one though.
    The geese all look very happy in the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the pond had just been cleaned out and refiled, we'd let the geese have access to it; they would jump in and start a big splashing session and then go under water for the length of the pond. No idea why they did this. Made all the effort of cleaning the pond worthwhile!

      Delete
  7. The occasional rosette, right! Well done & some lovely things that won them. Love the geese & goslings. Take care, stay safe & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,just the occasional rosette! It was always exciting to wander round and see who had won what. Simple pleasures. You take care too.

      Delete
  8. Love the geese and the quilt. Thank you for your memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The quilt is on the bed and I see it every day.

      Delete
  9. The Agricultural Show was always a bit deal where I grew up too - congratulations on so many wins - your quilt is exquisite and that walnut loaf looks good enough to eat. The egg is a strange one though lol My mother was a keen baker and always entered the show - I even won a prize myself for knitting when I was only 8 - wish I still had the patience lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you won at such a tender age! Well done. I used to knit but its crochet and quilting these days. At one show I went to a few years ago, one category to be judged was silage... yes several farmers had brought in lumps of silage to be judged!

      Delete