Home

Friday 23 July 2021

23 July Photo Hunt - Ice Cream

Oooh, I like ice cream!  I used to make a lot of it, round about 2005 ish but we found we ate too much so I stopped making it!  I used to have at least 9 different flavours in the freezer and they all had to come out so the bowl of ice cream was quite large.....

I did have a manual ice cream churner but one day when I 
went to retrieve it from the freezer, the inner freezing
bowl had leaked and all the blue liquid had leaked out!

Back in June 2013 I attempted to make my own version of
Magnum ice creams but it was very messy and not successful.
Now I buy them occasionally.

Then the other week I decided to make some ice cream which was handyfor this week's word!  I keep it very simple.  No fancy machine needed and no need to take it out of the freezer, whip it, put it back in the freezer, take it out later and whip it etc etc.  I like the small, flaky ice crystals in it.

All I needed was fruit (raspberries), single cream, caster sugar,
an egg yolk, a plastic jug and a stick blender.

Mash the fruit with a fort and put in the jug.

Add the sugar, egg and cream.  Use the stick blender.

Yummy!

Get out some small (100 ml) containers with lids and pour
the mixture in, about ¾ full.

Put the lids on and pop into the freezer.

Remove one at a later date, leave to defrost for about 5 minutes and then eat.
It is tart and not too sweet.

Here's the recipe I use if you wish to have a go.  So simple.  I use a plastic measuring cup.

1 cup fresh (or frozen) fruit, mashed.
½ cup caster sugar.
1 egg yolk (I discard the white but you could make meringue....).
1½ cups single cream (I use a cartoon that contains about 300-310 ml).

Blend and pour into your freezing pots.

Easy, so easy so give it a go.

Thanks again to Astrid.  Click here to return to her link page and see who else has joined in.

Bye!


8 comments:

  1. We used to have one of those ice ream makers and did use it a couple of times. It did make lovely ice cream but we no longer have it … it was a victim of a kitchen decluttering session. Your simple raspberry ice cream recipe looks nice and easy thoug … might just give it a try 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy and delicious so give it a go. It will work with other fruit too. I have made strawberry but that has a very delicate (almost no) taste!

      Delete
  2. I have been so efficient and got my blog ready early and posted it yesterday, but then forgot to upload it. That icecream looks really delicious. I love all icecream but B really only likes Walls Soft Serve in tubs or cones. Fusspot!!! You were very brave to try and make home made Magnum icecream. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on the point of texting you to see if you had forgotten.... As for the Magnums, one has to try these things! Why don't you make some raspberry ice cream, just for your own consumption??? x

      Delete
  3. Looks yummy & sounds good. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love how you made the different varieties of ice cream! And nine different kinds? Impressive!
    Thanks for the recipe, I think that's one I'd like to try. The little containers are a perfect size too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just need the hot weather to return to make me want to eat an ice cream!

      Delete